From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Newmoon Island (Japanese: 新月島 New Moon Island) is an island located in northwestern Sinnoh. It is home to the Mythical Pokémon Darkrai.
Newmoon Island is a mostly rocky island housing a small grove. The grove contains a puddle in the shape of a circle, with darker-than-usual water, representing the new moon. No wild Pokémon other than Darkrai reside on the island.
To get to the island, the player must have received the Member Card at an event; this allows them to enter the locked inn in Canalave City. Inside, after being put to bed against their will by a mysterious NPC, the player experiences a nightmare and wakes up on Newmoon Island. The player may only leave the island by battling Darkrai in the grove. If the player is defeated, they will return to the most recently visited Pokémon Center as usual. Otherwise, they will reawaken in the inn, the mysterious NPC having disappeared.
Regardless of the outcome of the player's first encounter with Darkrai, Sailor Eldritch will subsequently take the player to and from Newmoon Island whenever they like. If the player has yet to catch Darkrai, it will still await them in the grove upon each visit. Alternatively, the player may also re-enter the inn in Canalave City to repeat the nightmare event prior to having caught Darkrai. The player will not be transported back to the inn after battling Darkrai if they traveled to the island via ship.
While nothing of interest remains on the island itself once Darkrai has been caught, it is one of only two entrances to the northwestern portion of the Underground, the other being Fullmoon Island.
|A colored background means that the Pokémon can be found in this location in the specified game. A white background with a colored letter means that the Pokémon cannot be found here.
In the anime
Newmoon Island briefly appeared in Nightfall? Nightmares!, where a Darkrai was seen there, reacting to Team Rocket's attack on Cresselia on the neighboring Fullmoon Island.
- Newmoon Island's image on the Town Map is a horizontal mirror image of Fullmoon Island's.
- The Underground can be accessed at any time from Newmoon Island, despite the player falling under a nightmare and technically being asleep during the Member Card event.
- Despite it being an outdoor area, the player cannot use the Bicycle in the exterior portion of Newmoon Island. The same is true for the exterior portion of Fullmoon Island.
- The player cannot use Fly, Teleport, or an Escape Rope whilst on Newmoon Island. This is likely to prevent them from leaving during the nightmare event.
- During the Member Card nightmare event, Eldritch's ship still appears moored at the island; however, it is unmanned, and the player cannot board it.
- Due to the Surf glitch present in the Japanese version of Diamond and Pearl, the player is able to reach this area without the Member Card. This problem was fixed in subsequent language releases of the games.
- The much more complex tweaking glitch allows players to reach this area in international versions of Diamond and Pearl as well. This glitch was fixed in all releases of Platinum.
In other languages